Here I’m keeping a running list of what Pasqualina and Pinta like to eat.
I think it’ll be fun especially for fellow goat caretakers to see what other goats like, and also for those not very familiar to goats, to understand them a little better. Just like people, not all goats have the same tastes, so I’m interested in finding out what *your* goats like and don’t like too. Please share!
KEY = ** means “really loves”
NOM NOM NOM
- Apples (fruit and peel; will only eat a half an apple or less in one treat session)
- ** Bananas (fruit and peel)
- Bread bits
- Cantaloupe rinds
- Cucumbers (and peel)
- Fava bean pods
- ** Fava beans (dried)
- ** Fennel (wild)
- Fig leaves and figs (very much in moderation)
- Grapevines and grapes
- Green beans
- ** Loquats (whole, including seeds/pit)
- Oak leaves
- Olive tree leaves
- ** Pea pods
- ** Prickly pear cactus (the cactus part; hasn’t had the fruit yet)
- Plums (spits out pit)
- ** Raisins
- Tomatoes (Goat Berries reader had a goat die from eating tomato tops, so be careful!)
- Watermelon and watermelon rinds
TURN UP THEIR NOSES
- Cantaloupe fruit and seeds (Pasqualina only)
NOTE: THIS IS NOT A LIST OF EDIBLE AND POISONOUS PLANTS FOR GOATS.
If you’re looking for an extremely comprehensive list, check out Molly’s collection of what foods are edible and poisonous for goats at Fias Co Farm.